Local television news anchor Amanda Davis died Wednesday after suffering a massive stroke on Tuesday.

Davis, 62, died around 9:30 p.m. Wednesday after suffering a stroke at Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport on Tuesday, WGCL-TV reported.

“Amanda was at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport on Tuesday when she rushed to the hospital and underwent treatment. . . .”

Under the headline “Amanda Davis’ Family: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know,” Jessica McBride reported Thursday for heavy.com, “Tragically, Amanda Davis was traveling to a funeral for her beloved father when she herself was stricken and died. . . . Davis was at the airport because she was “headed to San Antonio following the death of her father, when the medical episode happened,” according to 9News.

The station reported that Davis died at the hospital Wednesday surrounded by family. A statement on the station’s website said Davis’ “family is asking for privacy at this difficult time.”

Davis leaves behind her mother and a daughter, writer Melora Rivera.

Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed expressed his thoughts via tweet: “Saddened to hear about the sudden passing of Atlanta news icon, Amanda Davis. Our thoughts and prayers are with her loved ones during this difficult time. She will truly be missed.”

Rodney Ho wrote for the AJC, “‘The CBS46 news team is in shock,’ said Steve Doerr, news director. ‘No one saw this coming.’

“During the 11 p.m. CBS46 newscast, anchor Sharon Reed said she had nothing but respect for her, lauding her authenticity. And she marveled over the three-part series Davis did in 2016 about her alcoholism. ‘She shared so much of herself, her vulnerability, on multiple nights,’ Reed said. ‘Hats off. We’re going to miss her.’ She teared up on air. . . .

“‘I’m glad she was able to make the comeback she did,’ said former 11Alive anchor Brenda Wood. ‘She will be remembered for that, for having the strength to persevere and overcome.’

“. . . Talk show host Rashan Richey, who was friends with her, said he plans a three-hour tribute to her on his 1380/WAOK-AM show from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday.

Ho also wrote, “Davis was off the air for more than three years when CBS46 gave her another shot a year ago to anchor again. . . . . After arrests for driving under the influence, Davis did a three-part series last year revealing her alcoholism for the first time and her road to recovery.”

She “worked at WAGA-TV for 26 years starting at 1986 when it was first a CBS affiliate, then a Fox affiliate. She helped launch ‘Good Day Atlanta’ as a host in 1992 before going to evenings.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *