The Westlake girls and boys are moving on to the Elite Eight after wins over Brunswick and Heritage-Conyers Saturday at home.

The girls rolled over the Brunswick Pirates 85-36 continuing their quest for their fourth consecutive state title. Lions guard Ta’Niya Latson led the Lions in scoring with 28 points while South Carolina signee and McDonald’s All-American Raven Johnson finished second in scoring with 17 points.

After the Pirates got off to a quick 5-0 start, the Lions responded with a 9-0 run led by Johnson. Pirates called a timeout with 3:12 remaining in the first quarter.

Johnson continued to feast as the Pirates’ full-court man-to-man defense proved to be unsuccessful. Johnson finished with 10 points in the first quarter as the Lions led 22-7. The Lions finished the quarter on a 13-2 run.

The Pirates fought to stay in the game as the Lions only scored 14 points to their 10. At halftime, the score still favored the Lions 36-17.

Latson put her mark on the game in the second quarter as the Lions began to pour it on. The full-court pressure defense gave the Pirates problems as Latson converted off of the Pirates turnovers.

Latson finished with 14 points in the third quarter giving the Lions a 65-23 lead.

As the fourth quarter began, the Pirates had no answer or fight left as the Lions continued to score. In the end, the Lions proved to be the far better team winning by 49 points.

Boys complete comeback defeats Heritage 71-69 in overtime

The boys completed their late rally against the Heritage Patriots after being down by as many as 17 points. The Lions also never had a lead in this game until overtime.

Guard Gaddis Heath finished with 20 points after having a slow start in this game. Heath struggled from the field only notching in two points in the first half.
Jalal Mckee was the hero for the Lions in this game finishing with 19 points behind Heath.

With less than a minute to go in the fourth quarter, the Lions were on the break as Heath had the ball. Heath attempted a layup that failed to go in but Mckee rebounded Heath’s miss and went back for a layup as the Patriots defender fouled him.

McKee was unable to convert the free throw as the Patriots had a chance to win the game. Instead, Patriots forward C. McBride was fouled with five seconds left for a chance to give the Patriots the lead and possible win.

McBride missed both free throws as the Lions rebounded the miss. Heath dribbled down the court and pulled up for a midrange jumper free throw as the buzzer sounded but the shot failed, hitting the front of the rim. Both teams headed into overtime.

In overtime,the Lions were able to get their first lead of the game thanks to Heath who hit a tough, contested shot below the free throw line to put the Lions ahead by two.

With less than 40 seconds remaining in overtime, the score was 69-66.

Heath was fouled after the Patriots were unable to score giving them a chance to ice the game. Heath made both of his free throws to give the Lions a 71-66 lead with six seconds to go in overtime. Patriots guard James White hit a three pointer as the buzzer went off as the Lions celebrated their win.

Both girls and boys will play at Kell High School Tuesday beginning at 6 p.m.

Photo: Anfernee Patterson/The Atlanta Voice

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.