Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms announced the Centers of Hope Afterschool program will continue to provide free meals to all students who rely on them throughout the closure of schools.
Currently, the City of Atlanta’s Centers of Hope Afterschool Meal program provides dinner and a healthy snack to Atlanta’s students between the ages 5–18. Beginning Monday, March 16, the program will run on a modified schedule allowing students to receive meals between 4-6 p.m. Monday through Friday.
“Atlanta’s children must continue to receive the food and proper nutrition they need regardless of current events,” Bottoms said. “In these times, nothing is more important than the health and well-being of our residents—especially those who face challenges on a day-to-day basis.”
The meal program is the latest policy initiated by the mayor to assist Atlantans during the coronavirus health threat. Earlier this week, Bottoms issued an Administrative Order directing the Commissioner of Watershed Management to refrain from taking any action which would result in the termination of water services for any Watershed Management customer due to non-payment for the next sixty (60) days.
The City of Atlanta Department of Parks and Recreation’s Centers of Hope afterschool program provides engaging educational, recreational, and cultural programming.
The mission of the program is to provide a safe, supportive, and structured environment that promotes a healthy and active lifestyle for students across Atlanta. The program focuses on the combination of education and play to empower youth to tackle the next school day with a positive outlook on life and community.
Locations for meal sites include the following City of Atlanta Recreation Centers:
- Adams Park Recreation Center
- CT Martin Recreation & Aquatic Center
- Anthony Flanagan Memorial Recreation Center
- Bessie Branham Recreation Center
- Coan Park Recreation Center
- Dunbar Recreation Center
- Grant Park Recreation Center
- Grove Park Recreation Center
- James Orange Recreation Center
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Recreation & Aquatic Center
- Arthur Langford Recreation Center
- Peachtree Hills Recreation Center
- Perkerson Park Recreation Center
- Pittman Park Recreation Center
- Rosel Fann Recreation Center
- C. A. Scott Recreation Center
- South Bend Recreation Center
- Thomasville Recreation Center
- William Walker Recreation Center
For more information on the Centers of Hope Afterschool Program and Registration, please visit the Official Website.
The City has also posted prevention information and additional resources related to COVID-19 on its website here.