History is what the South Atlanta football program made and lived on all season. After Friday night’s 42-6 loss to Bremen, the Hornets’ historic season is one for the books but not in the way they hoped.

Championship aspirations and a chance to play in their backyard in late December at Center-Parc Stadium was the ultimate goal. With this loss, the Blue Devils are the team that controls their destiny.

The second round of the Class AA playoffs featured the top-seeded Hornets out of region 6-AA and the three seed Blue Devils out of region 5-AA. Win or go home is all that mattered in this game.

If the Hornets wanted to continue their historic season, they needed to win this game and possibly have homefield advantage for the rest of the playoffs.

The Blue Devils wanted to keep their season going after falling in the second round last year to eventual state champion Dublin.

Great starts are what the Hornets needed in each game to give themselves a great chance of winning and they got it in this one. On the opening kickoff, the Hornets were able to recover the football and start in Blue Devils territory.

They cashed in early as quarterback John Lawton connected with receiver TJ Summerall on a screen as Summerhall went coasted into the endzone untouched. Hornets lead 6-0.

On the Blue Devils’ next drive, they capped it off with Brooks Hardie at quarterback finding receiver Seth Childers for a 37 yard touchdown pass. Blue Devils lead 7-6 with 6:28 to go in the first quarter.

The second quarter proved to be the turning point in the game. The Blue Devils recovered a fumble after Lawton’s pitch to runningback Keyjuan Brown went off his hands. Blue Devils quarterback Tucker Hendrix capitalized on the Hornets turnover with an eight-yard rushing touchdown making the score 14-6.

On the next Hornets possession, a bad snap on a punt attempt gave Hendrix the opportunity to recover the football in the endzone making the score 21-6 with 53 seconds to go.

The halftime deficit was 14 but frustration and a sense of defeat ran through the Hornets sideline.

The Hornets received the second-half kickoff but could not overcome a stout Blue Devils defense. Instead, it was the Blue Devils increased their lead in the second half, scoring 21 unanswered points in the second half and 42 unanswered points in the game.

Hendrix finished the Blue Devils drive with a goal-line touchdown making the score 28-6.

The next drive was a touchdown pass from quarterback Brooks Hardie to receiver Daulton Payne for a 49-yard touchdown reception. Twenty seconds remained in the third quarter and the score was 35-6.

Blue Devils runningback Montarious Banks scored the final touchdown of the game on a three-yard rushing touchdown making the score 42-6.

“Our kids have had to play a tough schedule,” said Blue Devils head coach Davis Russell. “Our veteran guys played hard today.”

The Blue Devils will travel to Jefferson County next Friday in the quarterfinals.

Photo: Anfernee Patterson/The Atlanta Voice

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.