Both APS teams in the Mays Raiders and the Carver Panthers took big losses in their opening games at the 2021 Corky Kell Classic.

The Mays Raiders fell to the Cherokee Warriors 52-8 thanks to a big game by Warriors quarterback and Maryland commit A.J. Swann. Swann finished the game 14-18, 247 yards, four touchdowns and one interception.

Early self-inflicted turnovers by the Raiders made things hard for them. After going down 3-0 in the first quarter and gaining much momentum on a defensive stop, the Raiders were marching downfield for their first score of the game. A bad snap by the Raiders center gave Swann and the Warriors great field position at the Raiders 31 early in the second quarter.

Swann and the Warriors capitalized on the great field position as he completed a 40 yard touchdown pass to go up 10-0 early in the second quarter.

The Raiders were determined on the next drive as they were driving downfield once again. This time, another bad snap ended in a Warriors scoop and score by Toby Thompson. The Warriors increased their lead to 17 points.

Raiders fans and players were distraught. Heads were down, frustration was loud and prevalent on the sidelines, especially with their center whose bad snaps cost them three early turnovers.

Instead of rolling over in anger and frustration, they marched downfield and put points on the board. Raiders quarterback Quintavious Johnson connected with receiver Saulamon Evans for a 17 yard touchdown pass as the Raiders trailed 17-6 with 6:53 left in the second quarter.

Swann and the Warriors did not let up though. On their possession, Swann threw a 36 yard touchdown pass to receiver Aidan Moore to go up 24-6.

Swann found Moore again on the next drive for a 24 yard touchdown pass increasing their lead to 25.

The Warriors added another score before halftime as Swann found receiver A. Harshaw for a wide open 15 yard touchdown. The Warriors went into halftime with a huge 38-6 lead.

The Warriors added two more scores in the second half to win in a big 52-6 win.

Wolverines second half performance powers them past Carver 38-8

The second half proved to be the difference in the game for the West Forsyth Wolverines as they tacked on 31 points to defeat Carver 38-8 in the Corky Kell Classic.

Wolverines quarterback Keegan Stover finished the game 12-21, 177 yards and four touchdowns to leading the Wolverines to a dominant victory.

Both teams were in a stalemate in the first quarter until the first play of the second quarter. That is when the Wolverines got on the board first with a 32 yard touchdown pass from Stover to receiver Jaycen Harris to go up 7-0.

The Panthers offense struggled to get into the red zone and get points on the board. While Jarveous Brown and Quintavious Lockett were able to run the ball efficiently at times in the game, the Wolverines defense zoned in on stopping the run and the Panthers couldn’t get anything going in the passing game.

The Panthers still kept themselves in the game only trailing 7-0 heading into halftime.

The Wolverines wasted no time going to work in the second half as they received the kickoff. This time, Stover connected with tight end/receiver Oscar Delp for a 28 yard passing touchdown to go up 14-0 with 9:35 to go in the third quarter.

After Panthers’ quarterback Deshawn Calhoun pass was intercepted by Wolverines defensive back Hudson Brown, the Wolverines capitalized with a 37 yard field goal to go up 17-0 in the third quarter.

On the ensuing kickoff, the Panthers fumbled, giving the Wolverines field position on the Panthers 15. Stover capitalized for the Wolverines once again completing a 15 yard touchdown pass to Ryder Stewart to go up 24-0.

All in all, the Wolverines scored 17 points in the third quarter to open the game.

Stover added another score in the fourth quarter with a 46 yard touchdown pass to Peyton Streko to increase the lead to 31.

Wolverines running back Willie Orris added another score with a goal line rushing touchdown making the score 38-0.

The Panthers added a late score with 1:00 left in regulation making the final score 38-8.

Photo: Anfernee Patterson/The Atlanta Voice