Quantcast

13 Killed in Navy Yard Shooting Rampage; Dead Suspect Identified

By Barbara Starr. Catherine E. Shoichet and Pamela Brown CNN | 9/16/2013, 4:46 p.m.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation released this poster, seeking information about Aaron Alexis, the deceased suspect in the U.S. Navy Yard shooting on Monday, September 16, 2013. (FBI Photo).

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- he FBI has identified the dead suspect in Monday's shooting rampage at the Washington Navy Yard as Aaron Alexis, 34, a military contractor from Texas.

The suspect was positively identified using fingerprints and ID, the Washington FBI Field Office said, asking members of the public for assistance tracking down information about Alexis.

"No piece of information is too small," said Valerie Parlave, assistant director in charge of the office. "We are looking to learn everything we can about his recent movements, his contacts and associates."

A military contractor ID removed from the suspect's body matched the appearance of the dead man, a law enforcement source said.

Authorities said at least 13 people -- including the suspect -- were killed and about a dozen others were injured in the shooting, which put government buildings on lockdown and sent police SWAT teams rushing to the scene.

It's unclear whether additional gunmen opened fire at the headquarters for Naval Sea Systems Command -- and why the shooting occurred.

One other gunman may be on the loose, police said.

Washington Metropolitan Police Chief Cathy Lanier declined to provide specifics about why police believed others could be tied to the shooting.

Police cleared one person they had been looking for in connection with the shooting, saying in a Twitter post that a white man in a tan outfit had "been identified and is not a suspect or person of interest."

"We still don't know all the facts. But we do know that several people have been shot and some have been killed," President Barack Obama said earlier Monday afternoon. "So we are confronting yet another mass shooting. And today it happened on a military installation in our nation's capital."

Obama called the shooting a "cowardly act" that targeted military and civilians serving their country.

"They know the dangers of serving abroad," he said, "but today they faced the unimaginable violence that we wouldn't have expected here at home."

Witness: People pushed their way out of building

The violence started unfolding at 8:20 a.m. when several shots were fired inside the southeast Washington facility.

Police spokesman Chris Kelly earlier described a suspect as an adult male, about 6 feet tall with a bald head and medium complexion, dressed in a black top and black jeans.

Two witnesses told CNN affiliate WJLA-TV that they heard a fire alarm go off in the building where they worked, then saw a man with a rifle down the hallway as they exited the building.

"He aimed the gun and fired our way," a man who identified himself as Todd Brundidge told WJLA, adding, "I couldn't believe it."

People frantically ran down stairs to get out of the building, Brundidge said.

"They were pushing. They were shoving. People were falling down," he told WJLA. "As we came outside, people were climbing the wall trying to get over the wall to get out. .... It was just crazy."

The injured included a Washington police officer who has been hospitalized, and a base security guard officer, said Metropolitan Police Department spokeswoman Saray Leon.