Grady Loses First Season-Opener in Six Years
By Hal Lamar Contributing Writer | 9/6/2013, 2:15 p.m.
The Grady Grey Knights take on North Clayton this Saturday night, hoping to win their first game of the 2013 season and drown the agony of their 7-6 defeat to Decatur High School on August 30. It was the first time in six years that the Grey Knights, under Head Coach Ronnie Millen, have dropped a season opener. The last was in 2007, when they fell to a then much stronger Douglass High team, 29-22.
Conversely, Joshua Moore, head coach at northwest Atlanta’s BEST Academy, is grinning from ear to ear after watching his Eagles defeat Cross Keys, 48-0, in their season opener. It’s the third time in as many years that BEST started the season with a victory, and the second as a full time participant in Atlanta Public School football.
In other season-opening action, the New Schools at Carver picked up where they left off last season with a 20-19 upset win over Mays.
Douglass will have to wait this week to try and put one in the win column. The Astros were defeated last week by Central of Carroll County, 56-0.
Jackson, which lost its first game of the year (August 23) to Towers, 13-0, defeated Therrell 40-6 last week. Former Mays Head Coach Dominque Calloway is now the pilot for the Panthers.
North Atlanta has improved some since last year and played tough against Stone Mountain last week, but lost 26-14.
South Atlanta, under new Head Coach Kevin Hill, was shut out by Lithonia 36-0, and Washington won its season opener, 60-0, over the Knowledge is Power Program (KIPP) High School Warriors.
Here is this week’s City of Atlanta High School schedule and the current rankings:
1) New Schools at Carver (1-0) vs.BEST Academy (1-0), September 6, 5:30 p.m., Lakewood Stadium
2) Washington (1-0) vs. Lithonia (2-0),
September 6, 8 p.m., Lakewood Stadium
3) BEST Academy (1-0) vs. Carver (1-0),
September 6, 5:30 p.m., Lakewood Stadium
4) Jackson (1-1), idle
5) Grady (0-1) vs. North Clayton (0-1),
September 6, 8 p.m., Grady Stadium
6) Mays (0-1) vs. Miller Grove (0-1),
September 7, 8 p.m., Panthersville Stadium (Decatur)
7) South Atlanta (0-1) vs, Towers (1-0), September 7, 7:30 p.m., Avondale Stadium (Decatur)
8) North Atlanta (0-1) vs. Tucker (1-0),
September 6, 8 p.m., Haliford Stadium (Decatur)
9) Therrell (0-1) vs. Decatur (1-0),
September 6, 5:30 p.m., Grady Stadium
10) Douglass (0-1) vs. Cedar Grove (1-1), September 6, 7:30 p.m., Avondale Stadium (Decatur)