Banish Boring Sandwiches
Boost your kitchen creativity with unexpectedly craveable sandwiches
6/7/2013, 7:47 a.m.
(Family Features) It’s time to break out of your ordinary lunch routine and make boring turkey sandwiches a thing of the past. With a few innovative tricks, you can turn any regular sandwich into a delicious and satisfying meal.
Versatile and delicious, a sandwich is perfect for any occasion, whether you’re sitting down with the family or packing for a lunch on the go. And you don’t have to be a professional chef to take a classic sandwich and turn it into a tasty meal. Try these simple tips and recipes to help boost your creativity in the kitchen:
• There are things better than sliced bread: Give your sandwich a makeover by piling your favorite fixings on a better bread option, such as focaccia or whole wheat pita. The sky’s the limit — try waffles for a sweet and savory treat.
• Embrace open-face: Load the toppings on each slice of bread, then pop the two sides into the toaster oven to toast the bread and melt the cheese.
• Smart substitutions: Lose the calories, but keep the taste of your favorite BLT by using new Hidden Valley Bacon Ranch sandwich spread instead of mayo — you’ll get all the same flavor with a third of the calories.
• Repurpose your leftovers: Make extra meat and vegetables for dinner, and use them for tomorrow’s lunch by placing leftovers between two pieces of your favorite bread.
• Turkey sandwiches don’t have to be boring: Add walnuts, avocado or apple slices to jazz up a childhood favorite.
• Go veggie: For the perfect Meatless Monday, try a sandwich on whole wheat bread with slices of avocado and tomato, topped with your favorite cheese — an instant vegetarian masterpiece.
For more ways to turn a sandwich into something unexpectedly craveable, visit. www.HiddenValley.com.
Makes: 1 serving
Prep time: 15 minutes
1/2 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
1/2 cup finely sliced spinach leaves
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tablespoon finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons Hidden Valley Oven Roasted Garlic
Parmesan Sandwich Spread & Dip, or more to taste
1 10-inch sun-dried tomato basil wrap
Stir together chicken, spinach, cheese, tomatoes, basil and sandwich spread. Spoon onto wrap and spread to edges; roll up. For entertaining, slice into 1-inch pinwheels.